perjantai 30. kesäkuuta 2017

Reading Romain Gary(1914-1980) At My Old Home

I sit on the red-painted floor in the now almost empty room
where I once, as a child afraid of the night, held my mother's warm hand
each night as I fell asleep. Now,
from a dusty book-shelf I pick up a book by Romain Gary,
one I never finished, and read how his mother - so proud of him -
embarrassed him before his air force comrades in 1939,
announcing  'You will be a second Guynemer!'
So lucky those of us, who still can be
embarrassed in public by loving mothers
bursting with their pride towards us,
the undeserving... It's evening, the shadows
gather, grow larger. The sea, harsh
like the reality we encounter after leaving the years
when our mothers could still protect us from suffering,
hits the coast at Big Sur. He has twenty-one years
to live, that son of a proud mother, who
once wore the air force leather jacket. On
that December day still
to come there was no proud mother
 to hold his hand as he faced
the night.

30.06.2017

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti