keskiviikko 13. joulukuuta 2017

MESOWEB

Laying on my back in the small room
that I should be using as a wardrobe closet
I read about the different strategies of Piedras Negras
and Yaxchilan; how the latter build defenses
on its borders, and its enemy up-river did not.
All the 'least cost' routes open, Piedras Negras
- the vanquisher of Tonina - fell
to Yaxchilan and it's
last king; a Pyrrhic victory which
bought - what? Twenty years perhaps, thirty?
I don't recall; when did Yaxchilan fall? 830? 840?
Almost a life-time then, thirty years.
Almost a life-time, now. Six died of cold
in Chiapas; indigenous - of course. (This
I read from retweet by Ubique.) And
I, in my wardrobe, my back on
blue jeans bag full of
old magazines of geography and astronomy,
my feet as cold as the snow outside,
blood, essence of soul
in Mesoamerica, so slowly flowing
- and how fast waters at the rapids of Usumacinta,
the whirlpools at Piedras Negras.

13.12.2017

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti