maanantai 30. lokakuuta 2017

A LITERARY ROMANCE

Such a lovely bleak day,
the weather below freezing for now and thus, snow;
but rain will come, cold freezing rain
on its way to apotheosis as ice -
and I have run out of milk,
and thus have to drink my bitter coffee black;
it looks like the night
has taken refuge in the depths of my coffee mug,
that I drink the night,
all darkness inside, all white and gray outside
the windows, and here, twilight
in the electric light, and in my hand
some hefty novel with long dead
angry author in the cover looking accusingly
at me, eyes like burning coals
like we would have been
personal enemies over some dust-buried
issue from the days of Louis Philippe or Nicholas I.
Hush, my dead marble-head atop
the canon bookshelf of the 'Western Civilization',
its cold outside, its cold inside me,
and you have long been a shadow among
shadows beyond Styx,
so let's embrace each other
through the printed words, my neurons
connecting with your long-decayed ones.
Tomorrow, we don't have to acknowledge
we ever met in the streets beside Neva or Seine.

30.10.2017

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti