keskiviikko 4. lokakuuta 2017

METHONI

Why write? asks Philip Roth in
the title of his new book,
and why indeed? You should have
stayed silent, Horselover.

Silence is golden,
to speak is silver.

(But I have always
been comfortable with silver.

I once wrote an essay
'How silver united China to world economy'.)

Cheers for no mention of
your name in this year's Nobel Prize
speculation, Horselover.

Thanks for having stopped writing.

(Yes, I have a grudge
with the man,
a lot of arrow points
carrying his name.)

It must be thirty years
since I read 'Goodbye Columbus',
still remember having it
in my hands on the schoolyard.
Sun was shining,
but the season - beyond
lack of snow - has
been erased from my memory.

I wish
you were
dead, Philippos.

Only the United States and Israel
have a right to criticize Israel.

I am quoting non-verbatim,
raising it from the
echoing halls of memory,
Horselover, so that's
unlikely to be exact.

But ever since I
read that, I have
never missed a
chance to criticize
you, Horselover.
Never will miss.

04.10.2017

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti