keskiviikko 4. maaliskuuta 2020

THE MIRE IN WHICH WE ALL DROWN

To PRC

1
You say you can't see -
three, no, now four days
since it started. I said,
and know you won't,
to go and see a doctor.
I fear it's neurological,
but won't say it to you;
I know you think
I would try just to hurt.
You will persevere in this
suffering I have brought
to being, the mire in
which we all drown,
like the ones here -
those which I never
took you to see;
you and me and they,
they who sleep the
dreamless sleep
under the newly fallen snow.

2
I haven't eaten in three days
much more than fried sunflower seeds
(like those you made),
and two kiwi fruits (the
most delicious I ever ate),
have drank endless cups of black coffee
translating Edward Thomas,
so long dead in Arras;
they claimed to his widow
that he died peacefully, a blast
stopping his heart; but
he died a soldier's death, not
of a poet's: A bullet in his chest.

3
The new neighbours
stand out in the snow, talking,
at eleven o'clock in the night;
smoking, I guess, to
shorten their lives. I
try to find reasons to go
into the store tomorrow,
but find less and less reasons
to leave, to walk the
suddenly snowbound earth
when the oblivion like a day in Arras
beckons so close by.

04.03.2020

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti