keskiviikko 15. huhtikuuta 2020

ON YOUR FOURTH BIRTHDAY

Birds are flying up in the evening sky, black wings
against twilight
and you ask from me
what is the name of those birds.
I have no idea, even if they would be close
I might not recognize them,
so I just say that they might be
crows, magpies, ravens or sparrows
and you choose sparrows,
asking where they are going?
Are they going back home to their eggs,
you say to me,
and I say that yes, they are
going back home to their nests eventually,
but at this time of summer
they will already have nestlings
and that they will be carrying back food to them.
Insects, and seeds and mice, I say,
some of them will swallow them, and then
vomit them to the open mouths of their young;
and I explain to your upturned face that
 that way they can take
more back to their young,
instead of making many trips bringing
just one insect in their beak.

29.06.2013-15.04.2020

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti