keskiviikko 18. marraskuuta 2020

CETUS

GJ 3053,
a red dwarf star in the constellation of Cetus,
the Whale, 39 light-years from Earth,
has three planets orbiting it. One,
a Super-Earth almost twice the mass of the Earth,
and in the habitable zone, could have
an ocean hundreds of kilometres in depth.
So says a new study. I think
of immense pressures in lightless depths,
of landless sea swathed in red light,
of my cat I named after the constellation -
one day, over thirty years ago,
brought back by my father,
who, returning from work,
found Cetus dead, run over,
at the crossroad near our home.
I think of my cat, dead in the trunk
of the Lada, I think of those
long gone days when I was young,
when we knew no planet around
other stars, when life held
wonder and promise,
I think of my Cetus,
how he must have suffered.
I think of the immense
depths of the faraway ocean,
the darkness and pressure like death,
the end that awaits
when all wonder and promise
lies dead.

18.11.2020

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti