keskiviikko 23. tammikuuta 2019

WORDLESS IN MY OWN SORROW

I tried to find words of comfort
for a grief that has shattered a heart;
but I had none,
for my mind was pierced by the same
loss, and wordless
in my own sorrow I was mute
to the pain of my friend.
The dead unite us in loss,
but the loss binds us
in silence.

I turned to the wordsmiths,
to Catullus on his brother's grave
in Troy, on Auden on Yeats,
and more of the same.
But these were monuments
hacked in eternity by the great,
and ours is a sorrow and pain
of the nameless
for their loved ones,
not an ennobling feeling,
not a fine emotion for the learned
of millennia to savour;
ours is the grief of the orphaned child,
ours is the rage against
losing the hand that held our own hand
when we took our first steps
and comforted us against the fears of the night
with the certainty of
loving warmth shielding us forever.

23.01.2019

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti