perjantai 29. tammikuuta 2021

FATHER

1
Your cousin, taken by a gangrene
a month before your own death,
had saved you from drowning
when you had been a little boy;
he pulled you up from the dark
depths of the lake by your hair.

As a youth of twenty, those
big men in their little car -
who you came to think of
somehow supernatural
as nothing was heard of them, afterwards -
came by your crashed car
in the wilderness during night,
having taken, they said,
a wrong turn; they saved
you, except your crushed leg.

My mother, you said,
also saved your life,
ended the wild life
of a working-class bachelor,
hard work five days a week,
hard fun for two days.
You told of the friends
who were dead or in prison,
and believed that was
to be your fate, but for her.

And I, I sent you to your death.
Three chances I had
to save you in those hours,
and each time the chance came
I didn't take it -
and so you died,
thrice saved,
thrice unsaved and doomed
by me.

2
If there would be life
after death,
how could I face you
and those who saved you,
and loved you?
Let there be life
after death
for you
and them,
and for me
nothing but the cold,
frozen earth
of your grave tonight.

29.01.2021

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti