tiistai 10. huhtikuuta 2018

THE DOOR INTO DISTANT SPRING

I am laying on my bed, the door is open -
not to the snow gleaming in sunlight
as a breeze with a hint of spring
moves the drapers - no,
the door is open to a moment
buried deep, deep in the past;
some year long gone had it,
this sweet peace I enjoy.
Enjoying the evening sunlight,
the breeze telling of buds to come
on boughs, of grass and flowers
waiting as seeds, the book
in my hands, Dostoyevsky
and the joy, the joy and ease
I feel that come from the distant
past, the long buried past,
through all these decades,
and I am young and hopeful again,
such a long, long ago,
time folding, personality folding,
part of the boy that was
in the man with gray and white
in his beard, and the book
in my hand is one weft, the Brothers Karamazov,
the breeze with its visions of spring
a second, the evening sunlight a second,
my mind the warp and this
undeserved, unexpected joy a miracle
they make. I am ready to cry,
not of pain or sadness, not
because of all the graves
and all the decades and all the
failed hopes and all the mistakes
that led to the graves, no
I am ready to cry out of happiness,
to be myself once more,
not the one that I made with such
trembling hands at life's loom,
but what I was, before,
the raw material made wrong.
The broken barrier will made itself anew,
time will refold and the folded
personalities will separate; past
and what is today outside this magical sphere
will drift away to their time and space.
The lesser me will be back,
a master of all he wrecked,
the pathetic lord of the ruins.
But the boy will be there,
there in his own time,
in this moment of golden gentle sunlight
and breeze with it soft hints of new grass
and the first small blossoms,
of a life-time of books, reading and writing
and growing up to fill
what promise he held.

10.04.2018

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti