keskiviikko 12. kesäkuuta 2019

A LAMENT FOR A SINNER AND HIS SIN

Surely this has gone for too long,
this what they call 'life' -
a cavalcade of days in distress,
mistakes that end in funerals
which follow you from one
dreary season to another one in darkness,
evenings sitting with a cat
in an empty playground reading books
while mosquitoes buzz in the air.
Today it was Weber and a biography about Brodsky,
yesterday Grass and... I have forgotten
(if it wasn't Lowry and his Mexico
through a tourist's brief, drunken gaze)
just like I have forgotten, have forgotten
most of these last two years and five months
since that night when everything
was on balance and was shattered.
Forgot to be able to survive if
this is survival, this mummification while
still alive in a horror movie way
(you like them, my poor lost visiting star,
yet they scare you and you wanted,
but no more, for me to hold your hand
afterwards, afraid to go to sleep);
the pain that comes each moment of
waking into another pointless day,
the hour spent fighting with depression
before getting up, getting coffee
made and, back from the toilet, drank,
getting the computer open, books
perched on its side, medicine
for the crushing pain which the one
well-developed part of me, conscience, gives.
Forgot to survive, me the forgotten.
"They left you here
so that you would not be in their way,
they buried you alive, your family,
you will die alone" she says. Perhaps.
Perhaps hermits are made as much
as they choose their lot or "life",
that great charade, guides them
to their cave or anchorite cell.
Whoever closed the door and locked it,
whoever bricked the wall, here
I am like Julian of Norwich -
without the seekers outside the
cell where she slept in her own grave
atop the bones of her predecessors.
I am dying alone, with three cats,
and you, my Fata Morgana
whose fate I have stepped on,
crushing it. "I have so many dreams",
you said and each time
I remember, I have tears
in my eyes, and like a stone laying
heavy on my chest. But you, my
sad, doomed dreamchaser,
you say "You don't love me.
You don't care about me.
You care only about yourself.
Get away from me!"
So I will die alone.
But worse than to die alone
is to die with someone
who could have saved you, would
have wanted to save you
but didn't; one wrong person
to be with on that final day, one
who had three chances to save
you, but like Saint Peter the Apostle
denied Jesus three times, he
failed you three times, three times
he missed an opportunity
that would have seen you sitting
out in the early night air today,
drinking coffee in the light
of the northern summer night
with your dog on your side
in the terrace; you wouldn't
have many years to live,
in your age and condition,
but you would have had these,
you and your loyal dog on your side.

12.06.2019

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti