tiistai 6. elokuuta 2024

EXCHANGING GREETINGS

I have no idea if I should know
the man who greets me
as I walk to the swimming
beach, putting down his bottle
of what looks like mineral
water. The children swimming
are his, they call him "Father"
later. I take one look at him,
average height, robust, fair hair
and beard, perhaps a decade
younger than I am. But then
looks can mislead and memory
can fail. Perhaps I have once
known this man, decades ago,
before transformations. Perhaps
he mistook me for someone
else. In my youth I was told
I had a nameless doppelgänger
here. Or perhaps he's just very
polite and blurted the word out
before thinking through. I
return the greeting, feeling
oddly uncomfortable. We
won't exchange more words.
After half an hour they leave,
drive away in their green van.

06.08.2024

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti